This recipe came out of one of my very favorite cookbooks: “A Good Cook… Ten Talents: Natural Foods – A Diet from the Garden of Eden” This is a classic vegetarian cookbook- well, actually it’s really a vegan cookbook. I have the 48th edition from 2012, but the original was printed in the late 60s’ before the term “vegan” was even coined. Regardless, it is entirely plant based and very instructive for anyone new to cooking. It is definitely my #1 cookbook recommendation for anyone cooking vegan meals regularly!
I used this salad to top my salad greens, in sandwiches, by itself- you name it! It is a very simple recipe & packs GREAT flavor. If you try it out be sure to leave a comment & let me know how it turned out!
This recipe makes about four 1/2 cup servings. Without further adieu, here is my version of tofu “egg” salad:
Tofu “Egg” Salad
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp. diced pimento
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp. each of salt & onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. each of garlic powder, turmeric, & celery seed
- Soy mayonnaise & lemon juice to taste
- Cut drained tofu into small cubes
- In a medium bowl, add celery, pimento, onion, nutritional yeast, salt & onion powder to tofu pieces
- Add soy mayonnaise & lemon juice to desired taste
- Stick bowl, covered, in refrigerator to blend flavors